he village of Alcsútdoboz can be found in the Váli Valley, 50 kms from Budapest.
The settlement got his name after a Hungarian personal name. In records between 1222 and 1550 it was mentioned as "Shut". It was completely demolished during the Ottoman times.
In the beginning of the 19th century it belonged to the Church under the name "Acsai Uradalom". (It means "The Lordship of Acsa".)
Before the Second World War it was known as the centre of the Hungarian Lordships of the Habsburg family. The land became the property of palatine József in 1818 by a Royal deed. The palatine discovered the special qualities of the valley situated at Mount Vértes.
After having built the castle between 1819 and 1827 he began to organize an English garden around the building.
His activity brought a boost into the life of the village.
The park of the castle works as a botanical garden today, gives home to vegetal rarities and receives nature-lovers visiting here from all over the world.
his imposing building in the centre of the village was built and operated as a catholic boys' school by the archduke.
After the Second World War it became state property, and in 1989 it was claimed back by the Catholic Church again. It became private property some years ago.
Renovations began in 1998 and continued until 2002 saving the building from complete ruination.
The owner's aim wasn't only to renew the building, but to give it the shape that matches the ancestors' will and fits into the environment.
The building that was built in the 1880s was furnished with antique and period pieces as well. Today it is used within the confines of a family enterprise.